Requirements for tourists to rent a car in Dubai
Being a tourist in Dubai is thrilling and can be quite exhilarating. Sometimes you are not sure what to expect beyond the things that you have heard or read about Dubai. There are questions about how much tourists can experience on a single trip.
Some of those experiences determine if the tourist will return. The places, the activities, meeting new people, and the movement around Dubai, and feeling the streets and life of place, all add up to the tourist’s experience on that trip.
Driving in Dubai
Driving around Dubai comes with little or no problems, as it has great road infrastructure and network. So all you need to do is get to know the routes and explore a little. A stronger car is required to go off the regular roads. These cars must be able to drive in sandy areas and have 4×4. Be sure to remember that the smaller cars take up less gas than the bigger cars.
It would not be advisable to hire a small car for the week, in the same week that you planned to go to the deserts or out of town. Driving a smaller car in desert is not practical. Just as cruising a bigger car within town all week may not be such a good idea. It would take up a lot more gas than the smaller cars even on regular roads would.
Almost everyone who visits Dubai would love to go to the deserts for a phenomenal experience and great tourist photos. Hence, prepare for that exciting day.
Can tourists drive in Dubai
You would be able to hire a car directly from the airport. But do take time and hire a car when you ready to travel around. And yes tourists can drive in Dubai. Also, you will get used to driving on the left. It is crucial that you are aware of the country’s rules and requirements.
Rules for driving in Dubai
Rules in Dubai would be same as rules in your home country with very little difference. Be sure to find out driving rules if you intend driving around the city. You do not find yourself on wrong side of the law. Some countries have strict rules and want to keep their citizens and visitors safe. And enforce these rules with fines or consequences.
Some rules that apply in Dubai are:
- If you must drive, do not drink. Finding slightest trace of alcohol in your blood would earn you a fine of 50,000 Dirhams. You could be sent to prison or deported
- Wear seat belt while driving, as it is in many other countries.
- Do not drive with kids below 13 years old in the passenger seat. Kids below 8 years should be in a booster seat and strapped to the car.
- Find out from the car rentals of the insurance status of the car you are renting. Every car has to be registered and insured in the UAE.
- Remember, Drivers strictly cannot use phones while driving. One suggestion is to use hands-free to attend the calls.
- Another thumb rule is that, You drive on the left side of the road, which is different from the rules in places like Australia, and the United Kingdom.
- You should be above 21 years old to rent a car in Dubai.
- Be sure to know all the rules to avoid the consequences, which could spoil your experience in Dubai.
Requirements regarding driving license
Before renting a car in Dubai as a tourist with a tourist visa, put these things in place:
- Firstly, your IDP (International Driving Permit) – you would need to obtain this before making your Dubai trip. Remember, this is not applicable to people from European countries or the GCC (Gulf Council Countries).
- Secondly, Your local Driving License (Only applicable to people from the European countries or the GCC (Gulf Council Countries) if on a tourist visa)
- Thirdly, A UAE Driving License – For those who are no longer on a tourist visa.
You can pick up a car for yourself if you have ensured these items. Dubai is a beautiful place to drive and have fun if these items have been checked.